Saturday, August 26, 2006

Hand Washing and Other Disturbing Topics

I saw an interesting variation in approach to toilet hygiene in the office loo today. I know this is a constant source of fascination for people – who washes their hands and who doesn’t, how hard they try, etc. I guess it has relevance if you have to shake hands or get back-slapped, also you share surfaces with these people’s fingers. This guy, who is a fairly well-place manager, was very perfunctory on the wash – wiggling his digits quickly and vaguely under a drooling cold tap - but he then proceeded to make a huge deal in drying them, going through several paper towels and really rubbing them hard and taking a while– it was like he hated water more than germs. Or maybe he was trying to impress me after he'd realised I’d caught him being slack with the wash. He was certainly dry, but was he clean?

Another thing that disturbs me are long conversations in the men’s – one time there was a suit sitting on the dunny and another leaning against the wall looking in and looking down on him questioning him – there was an interrogation-room vibe to it – why hang out in a bright smelly institutional cave to discuss business? What’s wrong with the staff room or cafĂ©? I think these guys imagine its macho to talk in these places – sort of the locker-room – or maybe they are impervious to the whole thing. Maybe they just can’t stop talking business. Maybe I’m just neurotic.

1 comment:

Jules said...

I usually get by with just a "Hi" or "See you later" or "Good thanks" greetings before locking myself in a cubicle from the world. But ladies do have long extended conversations, including when yelling or speaking loudly while they are attending to their business in the cubicles they so assigned to themselves. I wonder if this is why girls and now ladies, always go to the loo together ? I for one likes the company of going to the loo (not into the cubicle) and leaving the loo together - a bit of a confidence boast for there can be some nasty looking ladies around, who just can't help but to start at your hair, your face, your body, your shoes etc. But if you go with a friend, you're much safer that way - someone can back you up when the staring competition gets a bit too intense. Still, I prefer my loo visits to be a lone and quick experience - it's all about solitude I supposed.